Downtown Halifax Lighting Program ~ DELIGHTFUL DOWNTOWN
Downtown Halifax Business Commission (DHBC) is launching a new Downtown Halifax lighting program, DELIGHTFUL DOWNTOWN. With the proven success of holiday light shows throughout HRM in 2020, DHBC is expanding its own Downtown lighting program. This year, DELIGHTFUL DOWNTOWN will feature various lighting projects, including a new light and music show projected onto the former Halifax Memorial Library at Grafton Park.
“With the emphasis still on safe, outdoor events, it makes sense for us to invest our efforts on placemaking and outdoor activations to keep Downtown vibrant and welcoming,” said Paul MacKinnon, CEO of DHBC. “The DELIGHTFUL DOWNTOWN show at the former Halifax Memorial Library is our newest and most ambitious placemaking project to date. We hope visitors immerse themselves in the show over the next several months, while they are in the area exploring the shops, restaurants, and attractions.”
In partnership with Nick Iwaskow of Wasko AV, John Mullane of Future Dad, Advanced Systems, and the Halifax Regional Municipality, DHBC’s new light show at the former Halifax Memorial Library will premiere on Saturday, October 16, 2021. Coinciding with Nocturne, the initial show will run from 7:00 pm – 12:00 am.
The shows will continue until the end of March 2022 and will change to reflect relevant cultural and seasonal themes. Starting Sunday, October 17, 2021, the show will run from 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm. Start times will adjust as the evenings get longer.
• Granville Mall Placemaking Project – Fall 2021
• Holiday Gobo light projections around Downtown Halifax – November 2021 to early January 2022 (TBC); Locations TBD
• Holiday wreaths on lamp standards throughout Downtown Halifax – November 2021
• Light displays at Peace and Friendship Park – All year; Winter lights will run from November 2021 to March 2022
• Tree-wraps on Bedford Row – Running until end of March 2022